Background

Friday, February 10, 2012

29 Day Challenge Follow Up

I started with Laura's PROCESS steps:
Plan of attack:
Plan your project before
you start.
Remove items:
Empty the space completely
so you can start from a
clean slate.
Organize into piles:
One each to donate/toss/
sell/keep/relocate.
Sort like with like.
Containerize:
Containers and other
storage solutions establish
limits and boundaries.
Evaluate your plan:
How is your system
working for you? What
needs to be modified?
Solve and simplify: Address anything that isn’t working for you and revise accordingly.
Smile, relax and enjoy your hard work!

The stack of magazines in front of the closet were from early 2010. If I haven't read them by now I doubt that I will, besides the information is 2 years old already. Out they went. Tax papers and medical bills were also included those were relocated to my desk to be sorted later. Back in the 90's when they were supposed to be cool, I bought one of the round bed side tables with a glass top. Normally, it should have a cloth matching the bedding but I think I took it off a few years ago to wash it and never put it back. It never really fit beside my bed because it was so big, I could not even open the first two drawers under the bed fully. However, I have a very nice "telephone stand" that belonged to my Grandmother that I love and it fits perfectly. I switched them out and added storage drawers to keep the dogs from getting into my treasures and medication.
I used to have a shelf system against the wall at the end of the bed, however my son needed it for a while, eventually it ended up in another room. After much deliberation I decided to purchase a new one. It used to work well for organizing my stock pile of medications, toothpaste, travel size freebies, scrapbooking supplies, and such. The current system is not working the top is a mess and I cannot get to the lower boxes without having to move every thing.
Finally, I started to work my way through the piles in and around the opening of the closet. I can not work on something I can not get into. I found old purses that I would never use again and were not in adequate shape to even give away, a box of sock, a partially filled box of give away items, a bridesmaid dress from last July I am trying to sell, sewing projects, and luggage.

Thanks to Walmart and Target gift cards I had received at Christmas everything I purchased only cost me $50.00 out of pocket. I also bought a few other things that may will be used for compartmentalization later. I am actually surprised at how well I have done so far. Classes are going well and since I was trying to work ahead I was able to accomplish all my class work including 5 papers along with my clean up. Next week I will be tackling the closet, dresser, and dressing table.

3 comments:

  1. Great progress, love the table next to your bed

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like the before after pics that you show side by side. It may be too life for me to participate in this contest but I am inspired to organize my home - thanks

    ReplyDelete